Driving toward the future since 1932
Ruan was founded during a very challenging time. It was the Great Depression. John Ruan's father had passed away, and someone needed to provide for the family. So, despite the risk, the 18-year-old sold his family's car, bought a truck and began hauling gravel around Iowa. Ruan Transportation Management Systems was born.
Today, more than 83 years after that first load of gravel was shoveled by hand, Chairman John Ruan III and CEO Ben McLean—part of the third generation of the Ruan family—continue to operate and lead according to the principles set down by Mr. Ruan: integrity, hard work, innovation, quality customer service and compassion. Ruan continues to research and develop innovations in technology, equipment and safety. And, we're leading the transportation industry's effort to improve its environmental profile.
Whatever the challenge, we're committed to finding new and innovative ways to serve our customers.
Our mission is to employ the best team in the industry to move our customers' business safely, efficiently and on time, every time.
Ruan Transportation Management Systems
- Founded in 1932
- 270+ operations nationwide
- Professional drivers with 1/5 the turnover rate of the industry average
- On-site managers to direct fleets and drivers
- 99.8 percent on-time delivery
- 99.7 percent customer retention
- 5,200 team members, including 4,200 professional drivers
- Ongoing commitment to quality and process improvement
- 24/7 customer care from one full-service transportation company
- Asset- and non-asset-based solutions
- Proprietary Megasafe Safety Program
- Member of the leadership council for the SmartWay Transport Partnership
For more facts on Ruan, click here.